Day 3: Edinburgh - Pitlochry
Today you will depart on your first rail adventure. Heading North into Perthshire on the Highland Main Line, enjoy views out of your train window and look out for the famous Forth Bridge as you cross the Firth of Forth. Arriving at your destination, the Victorian town of Pitlochry, enjoy an included lunch before your tour leader takes you on a leisurely stroll around this small but charming town, which was much favoured by Queen Victoria, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Alexander MacKenzie, the second Prime Minister of Canada.
Pitlochry is on the banks of the River Tummel, which you will see when you visit the Dam and Salmon Ladder, before arriving at the Blair Athol distillery for a tour and Scotch whisky tasting.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 4: Pitlochry - Inverness
Today you set out on your second rail journey of the tour and it will not disappoint. En route to Inverness, travel through the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, the largest national park in the UK. Be prepared for spectacular views of mountain passes, hilltops, and heathland and look out for the viaducts at Culloden and Tomatin. Arrive in Inverness and enjoy lunch before you head out on an orientation tour of the city. Inverness means the Mouth of the River Ness, is considered to be the Gateway to the Highlands and is located between Loch Ness and the North Sea. This is the northernmost city in the UK and was also the inspiration for Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Today, it is considered one of Europe’s fastest-growing cities and also ranked as the happiest place in Scotland in a 2014 survey. It is also the best place on this tour for fresh seafood!
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 5: Inverness - Loch Ness - Fort Augustus - Fort William
No trains today, as instead, you will be riding on road transport to Fort William along the entire length of Loch Ness, the largest body of water by volume in the UK and home to the mythical Loch Ness monster! Spend a few hours in Fort Augustus and jump on board a Loch Ness cruise where you can try and spot Nessie. After an included lunch and some free time, you will continue on to Fort William. Located in the shadow of Ben Nevis, the UK’s largest mountain, the group will spend two nights in Fort William. Your tour leader will orientate you around Fort William before you have a free afternoon and evening.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 6: Fort William
Today you can enjoy an entire free day at your leisure. Fort William has a lot of outdoor activities on offer, from hiking Ben Nevis, to cycling and mountain biking. Join the highly recommended optional tour of the famous Jacobite Steam Train from Fort William to Mallaig, which has been described as the greatest railway journey in the world. You may know this train better as the Hogwarts Express and when you ride over the 21 arches of the engineering wonder of the Glenfinnan Viaduct you will be transported back to that famous scene in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. In Mallaig, you will have time for a fish ‘n’ chip lunch, before heading back to Fort William. *Please note that The Jacobite Steam Train does not operate between mid-November to mid-May. Outside these dates, we will travel on Scotrail's scheduled service.
Day 7: Fort William - Glasgow
Today is our final train journey together and what a way to finish off the train travel! We will take the West Highland Line south to Glasgow. This journey is the highlight of the day, with fantastic views of Moors, mountains, and lochs. In fact, you will pass Loch Treig, Laidon, Tulla, Lomond, Long, and Gare before arriving into Glasgow. The route between Tulloch and Rannoch stations is not connected by roads, so you will be passing through true wilderness. On arrival in Glasgow, check into your hotel and then take an orientation walking tour with your tour leader before enjoying a farewell dinner together. This is the time to celebrate the great times you’ve had this past week.
Day 8: End of tour in Glasgow
Today marks the end of your Scotland rail tour, enjoy a hearty breakfast and allow yourself enough time to enjoy more sightseeing in Glasgow before you continue with your travels. From Glasgow, you can easily return back to Edinburgh or both Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports are within easy reach.
Rail Tour Package Includes:
- 7 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities
- 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches & 2 dinners
- All rail travel throughout your tour with reserved seat selection. Standard Class Rail.
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Services of a tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip
- All taxes and fees included
Experiences & Sightseeing Tours Included:
- Edinburgh walking orientation tour with your tour leader
- Welcome dinner in Edinburgh with your group
- Train over the Firth of Forth to Pitlochry
- Included Pitlochry lunch
- Pitlochry orientation walk
- Whisky distillery tour and tasting
- Train to Inverness through Cairngorms
- Included Inverness lunch
- Inverness orientation tour
- Loch Ness drive by road transport
- Loch Ness sightseeing cruise
- Fort Augustus orientation and free time
- Fort Augustus lunch
- Fort William orientation and free evening
- Train from Fort William to Glasgow
- Glasgow orientation tour
- Glasgow farewell dinner
- Orientation tours in Edinburgh, Pitlochry, Inverness, Fort Augustus, Fort William & Glasgow
- Opt to join The Jacobite steam train over Glenfinnan Viaduct
- Sightseeing cruise on Loch Ness to try and spot Nessie
- Full free days in Edinburgh and Fort William, with plenty of sightseeing options
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Optional excursions
- Travel insurance
- International flights to/from the start/end point
- Anything not mentioned in 'Package Includes'
Safety on Tour (Covid-19)
A number of protocols to ensure the safety and protection of all passengers has been added to the tour.
Travellers can expect the following:
- Increased daily cleaning, thereby ensuring optimal hygiene.Passengers will be expected to wear masks onboard trains and boarding procedures will be adjusted to allow for social distancing.
- In-depth hygiene and health training for your tour leader.
- While on tour, the comfort and quality of our restaurants and accommodation will still remain, however, these will be vetted to ensure the increased hygiene standards are met.
Tour Prices are per person twin share in Australian Dollars. Conditions apply and escorted tours are subject to change and availability. Prices are subject to currency fluctuations. (ex)